Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Sneak Peak of my www.channillo.com webseries "Worth The Fight" -- go to the website to subscribe

I'm finally ready to update my webseries after a 2 month hiatus.  I've just been really busy with pre-production of Must Be Nice: 2 and DJ-ing, but to all those patiently waiting for me to update "Worth The Fight" I appreciate ya...keep reading....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13: Trey Goes to Mexico (Part One)
Series Info | Table of Contents
            In the beginning of my professional mixed martial arts career with the National Fighting Federation, I had some preconceived notions aboutcombat sports.  I had grown up competing in countless youth martial artstournaments and many wrestling matches in high school and colleges.  I trained hard to be in peak physical condition and an efficient tacticioninst.  My dedication and work ethic was unmatched.  That’s how I attained such a high level of success whenever I competed.  I intended to apply that dedication and work ethic to MMA, and I knew I’d have to take my training to a whole new level to compete at a high level with the world class athletes in the NFF.  My assumptions were only partially accurate.  Physical prowess and conditioning along with crafty tactics in the ring were only part of the equation.  CEO Paige Jefferies had a vision for the NFF and involved more than recruiting the most talented fighters in the world.  She wanted to find those special fighters she could mold into the type of stars that would appeal to the fans all across the world to help build the NFF as a global brand.  To her, charisma, charm, and speechcraft were just as important as fighting expertise because she wanted fighters on her roster that people would pay good money to see, and she knew people would be drawn to fighters more so by their personality and magnetism rather than their skills in the caged ring and ability to pound another human being unmercifully.
            Paige saw something in me.  She saw a lot of potential in me as a fighter, but also saw a lot of potential in me to be the kind of star that could be the face of the NFF.  Maybe it was my dashing good looks, or my gift of gab, or my amiable back story of being a young prodigal martial artist with an obscure film credit to my name.  I don’t know.  I’m just glad she wanted to give me a chance.  I learned a lot of life lessons and a lot about myself thanks to her.  Paige wasn’t the only one who had a big influence on me as a professional fighter.  About a month after my first match with the NFF, she revealed to me that I was on her radar as a possible recruit before she even found out I was dating the daughter of one of her main financial investors.  Lubie Marshall and JP, two of the NFF’s top fight promoters had shown her that viral video of that epic brawl at the pool hall on Halloween of 2001.
            On October 20, 2004 she scheduled a sit down with herself, Lubie, JP, and myself at the Manhattan headquarters of the NFF.  They wanted to talk to me about promoting my next fight.  Like Paige told me before, as long as I performed well in my first few fights, I’d be in line for a title bout with Orlando “The Tornado” Fernando, the pride of Mexico.  Lubie and JP thought it would be a good idea to have Orlando ringside at my next bout to get a good look at me up close and personal.  I didn’t have a problem with that.  I was just ready to find out who my next opponent would be so I could engross myself in training for the match.  The decision on who my next opponent would be was still a few weeks away.  At the end of my meeting with Lubie, JP, and Paige, I looked at them and said, "Hey, isn't Orlando Fernando's next match in Tulum this weekend?  Why don't I go down there and get a good look at him up close and personal first?"

No comments:

Post a Comment